By Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Nathaniel DesRosiers, Shira L. Lander, Jacqueline Pastis, Daniel Ullucci
Have fun a trailblazer within the components of girls and faith, Jews and Judaism, and earliest Christianity within the historic Mediterranean
Ross Kraemer is Professor Emerita within the division of spiritual reports at Brown collage. This quantity of essays, conceived and produced through scholars, colleagues, and buddies bears witness to the breadth of her personal scholarly pursuits. participants contain Theodore A. Bergren, Debra Bucher, Lynn Cohick, Mary Rose D’Angelo, Nathaniel P. DesRosiers, Robert Doran, Jennifer Eyl, Paula Fredriksen, John G. Gager, Maxine Grossman, Kim Haines-Eitzen, Susan Ashbrook Harvey, Jordan Kraemer, Robert A. Kraft, Shira L. Lander, Amy-Jill Levine, Susan Marks, E. Ann subject, Renee Levine Melammed, Susan Niditch, Elaine Pagels, Adele Reinhartz, Jordan Rosenblum, Sarah Schwarz, Karen B. Stern, Stanley ok. Stowers, Daniel Ullucci, Arthur Urbano, Heidi Wendt, and Benjamin G. Wright.
- Articles that study either historical and glossy texts in cross-cultural and trans-historical perspective
- Twenty-eight unique essays on old Judaism, Christianity, and ladies within the Greco-Roman world
Read Online or Download A Most Reliable Witness: Essays in Honor of Ross Shepard Kraemer (Brown Judaic Studies) PDF
Best ancient civilizations books
Evidences and commonalities explored from historical guy worldwide! Why constructions echoing the Tower of Babel were recreated on nearly each continent and significant tradition What artifacts and archaeology, know-how and innovation, quite demonstrate in regards to the beginning of mankind Why many biblical symbols (rainbows, human sacrifice, mountains, the Son/ solar worship) have been, and stay, distorted in pagan spiritual practices What the ancient list unearths approximately Satan’s “counterfeit” of God’s plan for humanity worldwide there are related findings of old religions, towns and towers, international commute, complicated astronomy, and civilized executive.
- The histories of Polybius : book one, translated by Evelyn S. Shuckburgh
- Sumerian King List (Assyriological Studies)
- Mesopotamia / Mesopotamia (Universitaria) (Spanish Edition)
- Hittite Warrior
Extra resources for A Most Reliable Witness: Essays in Honor of Ross Shepard Kraemer (Brown Judaic Studies)
62). I will address her points in the course of this discussion. 25 26 A Most Reliable Witness dialogue between a lumper and a splitter, however, I propose to reframe “god-fearing” with a different set of considerations. In the cities of Roman antiquity, how did gods and humans interact? ”3 From the “micro”-level of the family to the “macro”-level of the city, ancient gods ran in the blood. For this reason, pantheons coincided with (variously sized) human groups, from the individual domestic unit4 to the wider γένος or ἔθνος.
17 How do we identify all these ancient actors as they comfortably cross these ethnic/cultural/“religious” lines? And do the data themselves give us any assistance in this effort? Some ancient formulations emphasize the “ethnic” aspect, though what we think of as “religious” behaviors would also be entailed: Jews can act “gentilely” or “paganly” (ἐθνικῶς) and pagans can act “Jewishly” (Ἰουδαικῶς) (Gal 2:14); non-Jews can “Judaize” iors that they record. For older discussions, see Schürer, History of the Jewish People, 3:150–76; Louis H.
8. Christopher P. Jones, Kinship Diplomacy in the Ancient World (Revealing Antiquity 12; Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1999). 9. Peppard, Son of God, 60–67, on empire as family. 10. Tertullian fulminates against the gods’ omnipresence particularly in De Spectaculis and in De Idololatria, in the latter treatise specifying also private family festivities (16), the insignia of civic office (18), military standards (19), education (10), oaths, contracts, and vernacular expressions (20–23).